Dream of an island holiday, a place where you can leave all your troubles at home. Think adventure activities, colonial architecture & local cultures. Then think no further than the off the beaten track destination of Mozambique. Explore some of the most exquisite white beaches on a never-ending coastline. Add to this fantastic wildlife, pulsating nightlife and fresh seafood. Mozambique is becoming a destination of choice for those looking to escape the more commercialized beach holiday experience.
- A scuba diving mecca, many resorts and towns have PADI certified dive shops
- Island hopping on traditional dhows or luxury yachts is a popular way to explore.
- You’ll find some of the best beaches in the southern hemisphere stretching 2 500 kilometers from Ponto do Ouro in the south to Pemba and the Quirimbas islands in the north.
- Deep sea fishing for huge game fish
- Find the ideal form of accommodation to suit your needs. Mozambique caters for all tastes and budgets.
TOP 5 MOZAMBIQUE HIGHLIGHTS
- QUIRIMBAS ARCHIPELAGO A picturesque holiday destination way off the beaten track where the whales play. Experience Ibo Island, Quilalea Island, Medjumbe Island, Vamizi Island and Matemo Island.
- BAZARUTO ARCHIPELAGO Untouched coral reefs and rare marine species are the main attractions. Choose from Bazaruto Island, Benguerra Island or Magaruque Island for your dream vacation.
- VIEW THE BIG 5 Go game viewing to see the fascinating flora and fauna in Gorongosa National Park and Niassa Wildlife Reserve. Conservation areas brimming with wildlife and pristine habitats. Get closer to nature than ever before.
- MAPUTO ELEPHANT RESERVE This is a must-do if you love these pachyderms.
- INHAMBANE With endless beaches and plenty of accommodation options on offer, the area is popular for it’s trendy beach vibe with local bars and restaurants on the beach.
TIPS FOR TRAVELING MOZAMBIQUE
CURRENCY Metical (MZN) is the local currency of Mozambique. US Dollars are widely accepted, as is South African Rand. Bigger hotels and resorts will accept credit cards and there are ATM’s in most cities and towns.
CLIMATE The climate is warm and tropical with the average temperature in the country is 28° C. The weather along the coast of Mozambique is sunny and warm even in winter. Further inland during winter, temperatures can drop to around 12-15° C. In summers the months ranges from October to April which is rainy, humid, and very hot. The rainy season is typically from November to April. June to October is cooler and drier.
WHAT TO PACK Swimming costume and summer clothes with smart casual attire for the evening. A light sweater/jersey for cooler evenings wouldn’t go amiss. Don’t forget the sunblock, a hat and comfortable walking shoes.
PEAK HOLIDAY SEASON May to November is considered the best time to visit as the temperatures are generally cooler and there’s very little rain. December is generally peak season with lots of visitors from South Africa arriving.