Rwanda was in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons, until now! This country is fast emerging as a premier destination for African safaris, with international travelers coming more frequently. Known for being one of Africa’s cleanest countries, it also goes by the name of the land of a thousand hills – Book your holiday to this breathtaking country and see for yourself what makes it tick!
- A spectacular terrain boasting 23 lakes, volcanoes, numerous rivers and densely forested mountain ranges.
- Rwanda plays host to half of the continent’s endangered mountain gorillas.
- A nature lover’s playground with an ecological diversity of both fauna and flora.
- Take your pick from the range of luxury lodges, tented camps and world class hotels.
- Gorilla trekking – Be a part of this stirring, yet soporific experience and spend one precious hour in the company of a mountain gorilla family. The biggest draw card for tourists, but only accessible to a privileged few.
TOP 5 RWANDA HIGHLIGHTS
- PARC NATIONAL DES VOLCANS Tick gorilla trekking off your bucket list and hike the densely forested mountains in search of these gentle primates. Only a few visitors at a time, you can’t afford to miss out!
- AKAGERA NATIONAL PARK Make sure to include this park in your itinerary. The opportunities to view elephant, lion, hyena, giraffe and hippo, plus other different wildlife species are fantastic in Akagera.
- NUNGWE FOREST NATIONAL PARK Explore this Garden of Eden and discover over a hundred orchid species that will leave you bedazzled. Nungwe Forest also features some other primate species including chimpanzees. Birdlife is prolific, with with over 670 species recorded countrywide.
- HISTORICAL MEMORIAL Rwanda holidays are not only about immersing oneself in nature and getting close and personal with our primate cousins. Take a tour of the genocide memorial sites in the capital, Kigali and learn more about this gruesome past.
- LAKESIDE LIFESTYLE Head to the shores of Lake Kivu – a lakeside retreat with all the makings of a tropical Indian Ocean coastline!
TIPS FOR TRAVELING RWANDA
CURRENCY Rwandan franc (RWF) is the local currency. US Dollars and Euro are widely accepted. In Kigali, some international chain hotels and shops will take credit cards but for everything else, cash is king
CLIMATE Rwanda has a temperate tropical highland climate, with lower temperatures than are typical for equatorial countries due to its high elevation. Kigali, in the centre of the country, has a typical daily temperature range between 12 °C (54 °F) and 27 °C (81 °F), with little variation through the year.
WHAT TO PACK Take along specialized gear for hiking and trekking. Hiking boots, rain resistant clothes and water proof back packs are a must. Wrap all valuables like camera’s, etc. in self seal dry bags. Other clothing should be light weight and breathable. Due to the higher elevations, a warm jersey/jacket is a must for the cooler evenings. Mosquito repellent, sunscreen, a hat and costume should go in too.
PEAK HOLIDAY SEASON The short dry season from December to February is considered the best time to go Gorilla Trekking.