The Seychelles is an island country off the east coast of mainland Africa. It spans an archipelago of 115 islands in the Indian Ocean. Known for it’s conservation efforts, exceptional beauty, coral reef diving and picture postcard beaches. It’ll come as no surprise that this beautiful island nation is one of the top holiday destination spots for celebrities. With it’s slogan of a private beach for everyone, you’ll find your dream spot here too.
- Just under half of the landmass in the Seychelles is occupied by national parks and reserves. This is aligned with the government’s various environment and ecosystems protection and conservation policies.
- The capital city of Seychelles, Victoria, is the smallest capital in the world.
- Of the countries numerous famous visitors, Ian Fleming – author of the James Bond novels, named one of his characters after a popular local drink.
- Some of the heaviest tortoises in the world can be found on Bird Island. Some weigh in excess of 300 kilograms.
- Despite it’s luxurious appearance, the Seychelles caters towards all budget types. Many guests rent cars and set off looking for small, private beaches or local restaurants.
TOP 5 SEYCHELLES HIGHLIGHTS
- VICTORIA The quaint capital city of the country is well worth a visit for it’s museums, Indian temples, clock tower and colourful markets. Plenty of local art and craft shops and restaurants can be found here too.
- MORNE SEYCHELLOIS NATIONAL PARK Located in the north of Mahe, it’s here you’ll find the highest peak on the island at 905m above sea level. Numerous day hiking trails in the forest can be found here.
- BEAU VALLON This endless stretch of beautiful white sand palm tree laden beach is found up north on Mahe. Numerous hotels for all budgets can be found here along with shops, restaurants and dive operators. It’s about 15 minutes from here to Victoria by car
- PRASLIN AND LA DIGUE ISLANDS These tiny islands are reached either by commercial flight or by ferry from Victoria. With tiny populations and numerous beaches, exploration by foot, bicylce or horse drawn cart is the norm
- BAIE LAZARE A small bay area located on the south of Mahe, it’s considered to have some of the best beaches. Best reached by rental car.
TIPS FOR TRAVELING THE SEYCHELLES
CURRENCY The Seychelles Rupee (SCR) is the local currency. Due to the high number of European and British visitors, the Euro and Pound sterling are also widely accepted. Credit cards are widely accepted.
CLIMATE Temperatures range between 24 – 32°C year round. Northwest winds blow December – March leaving temperatures hot and humid. Southeast winds blow May – September leaving it cooler and more pleasant.
WHAT TO PACK Summer holiday attire consisting of t-shirts, shorts, costumes and light cotton materials. Don’t forget the sun tan lotion, caps and sunglasses. Pack comfortable shoes for hiking and smart casual clothes for evening dining.
PEAK HOLIDAY SEASON September – November is considered the best time to go when the surrounding ocean is meant to be at its calmest, temperatures are cooler and the least amount of rain falls.