Explore the essential stopover point of Livingstone if you are travelling between Victoria Falls, Central and southern Africa. For here you will find great accommodation, great hospitality and fantastic history.
Livingstone still reflects the era of colonial rule in its sturdy architecture:
- CAPITAL: Established in 1904, this was the original capital of Northern Rhodesia.
- TOURISM: When the capital of Zambia became Lusaka in 1935, Livingstone kind of crumbled but today the town has been revived as a tourist centre.
- VIC FALLS: It is the gateway to the Falls and some spectacular game reserves and national parks, adventure activities and cultural excursions.
- OLD DRIFT: Originally known as the Old Drift, the town of Livingstone was developed as a staging point across the Zambezi River and to get to Victoria Falls 11 km away.
Explore Livingstone town, rich in culture and heritage – see the arts and crafts’ producers, museums, colonial architecture and African lifestyle. The hospitality and warmth of Livingstone town are infectious and will lure you back for more. Embark on a unique Zambian safari from here.
History tells us that David Livingstone was the first explorer to view ‘Mosi-oa-Tunya’ (the Smoke that Thunders). He was so in awe that he wrote in his journal ‘on sights as beautiful as this, angels in their flight must have gazed’. Come and taste the local beer, called ‘Mosi’,in the town named after Livingstone, overlooking this exquisite waterfall.
The Victoria Falls is one of the seven natural wonders of the world:
STILL LOOKING FOR THE ULTIMATE AFRICAN HOLIDAY?
- EXCEPTIONAL VIEWS: Too fantastic to describe - a walk across the knife edge bridge provides a spectacular view of the eastern cataract and up the main gorge.
- THE BOILING POT: Provides an interesting view from the base of the falls and the Victoria Falls Bridge spanning the gorge.
- VAST VOLUMES: The Falls are 1.7km wide with a volume of between 20 000 and 700 000m3 per minute of water falling down a vertical drop of 100m. The spray of the falls can be seen clearly from a distance of 30km, like a huge smoky cloud.
- ADVENTURE ACTIVITIES: Be part of a different kind of Zambian safari when you try some adrenaline charging adventures and activities around the majestic Victoria Falls. Choose from white water rafting, bungee jumping, helicopter flips, walks and safaris.
Speak to our seasoned travel experts for help on crafting the holiday of your dreams: