What better way is there to celebrate your honeymoon than with a romantic getaway in Zanzibar? Or even just to get away for a well deserved break. Escape to this tropical island paradise and create unforgettable memories on sun-drenched beaches. With it’s rich cultural heritage and inland forests, Zanzibar is so much more than just a beach destination.
- Breathtaking coastlines with palm-fringed powdery white sand
- Pristine corals with eclectic tropical fish species make it ideal for diving and snorkelling.
- Host to the only functioning ancient town in East Africa – Stone Town
- Embark on spice tours on Zanzibar and learn the secrets of these dried plants that add zest to our meals! Treat your sensory glands to a variety of flavors, smells and sights with up to 50 different fruit, spices and plants on the island.
- Visit the quaint fishing village of Kizimkazi for a once in a lifetime opportunity to swim with wild dolphins in their natural habitat. Both bottle-nose and humpback dolphins occur in these waters.
TOP 5 ZANZIBAR HIGHLIGHTS
- STONE TOWN Explore this Unesco World Heritage Site and gawp in awe of the magnificent architecture that dates back to the 19th century. Walk the cobbled streets and acquaint yourself with the different cultures on the island. Enjoy a vibrant, yet laid back ambience that is synonymous with island life.
- SATELLITE ISLANDS Try a different kind of Zanzibar experience and opt for a more exclusive stay on Mnemba Island. The Satellite Islands will delight you with their hidden underwater gems. Enjoy fantastic snorkeling and diving opportunities around Chumbe Island. Don’t forget to visit Prison Island to observe giant tortoises.
- NORTH COAST Base yourself in the North Coast for some sensational deep sea fishing. Enjoy a more tranquil stay in the finest resorts the whole of Zanzibar. Endless possibilities for fun in the azure oceanic wonderland.
- EAST COAST Discover Zanzibar’s best beaches – idyllic, powder white sands overlooking a long barrier reef, about 1km offshore. The only downside to this dreamy location? When the tide is out, you will need to walk a long way for a swim.
- JOZANI FOREST Take a guided tour inside the forest and through the mangroves. Those who get lucky will spot the rare and endemic Red Colobus Monkeys.
TIPS FOR TRAVELING ZANZIBAR
CURRENCY The Tanzanian Shilling (TZS) is the local currency though US Dollars and Euro is widely accepted. Only international hotels and a few shops and restaurants in Stone Town accept credit cards. ATM’s can only be found in Stone Town and the airport.
CLIMATE February is the hottest month in Zanzibar with an average temperature of 28°C (82°F) and the coldest is July at 24°C (75°F) with the most daily sunshine hours at 10 in December. The wettest month is April with an average of 401mm of rain.
WHAT TO PACK Shorts, t-shirts, costumes and light summer clothing. Perhaps some smart casual clothing for dining in the evening at the restaurant. Being a Muslim country and especially around Stone Town, it is suggested that both men and women dress conservatively, especially when visiting the local mosques. Don’t forget the sunblock, a hat, sunglasses and a good book.
PEAK HOLIDAY SEASON June to October is considered the best time to visit as the weather is cooler and it rains less.